Probably the hardest thing to do when a breakout is lurking is to simply leave it alone. The unknown potential of a pimple makes the average person want to pinch and squeeze in hopes of it disappearing. Little do people know that the more the skin is touched, the greater the chance of that pimple going from innocuous to embarrassingly obvious.
Acne is basically a condition that affects oil glands. The microscopic pores on your skin connect to oil glands under the skin. Each of these glands connects through the pores by a canal called a follicle. When the follicle of a skin gland clogs up, oil backs up and a pimple appears. According to the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, an estimated 80 percent of all people between the ages of 11 and 30 have acne outbreaks at some point. However, people in their forties and fifties also tend to experience acne when hormones start to shift.
A clogged pore gives you a pimple. Sometimes bacteria can be a culprit too. Bacteria can cause inflammation inside a clogged pore and if the inflammation goes deep into the skin, an acne cyst or nodule appears. Clogged pores are typically the result of: hormones, heredity, medicine, over stimulation of skin, sweat, excessively drying out your skin, dead skin cells, oil, dirt, make up, new facial hair growth just to name a few.
If you’re on the verge of a breakout, here are some simple steps you can take that will prevent a potential pimple from getting worse.
- No squeezing or touching the affected area. This simply irritates the skin and makes it worse.
- Keep your skin clean and dry, but don’t over scrub. Over cleaning can actually stimulate the skin to produce more oil.
- Use your hands to apply a non-abrasive cleanser as a washcloth of exfoliating pad irritates the skin.
- Avoid oily cosmetics in an effort to cover the area. The oil in the product clogs the pores.
- Avoid excess tanning. You may think that sun can dry the excess oil in your skin, but too much sun can worsen acne.
- If you’re involved in sports where you sweat, be sure to shower off as soon as you can. Again, sweat clogs the pores and instigates more acne.
- Regular washing and rinsing will go a long way in giving you healthy looking skin!
If you continue to have Acne problems come see us at the spa, we can help. Call (831) 636-7727 for an appointment with one of our Master Estheticians.